When selecting and handling tomatoes follow these tips:
- Choose deep red colour tomatoes.
- Select a truss where the tomatoes at the top of the truss are a deep red colour and are descending in colour as they go down the truss.
- Make sure the tomato stems are still a vibrant and fresh green colour. The stem should not be dry as this indicates age.
- Tomatoes should be firm to touch and not too hard, they should not feel too soft as this means that they are over ripe.
- Do not store your tomatoes in the refrigerator as this delays the ripening process of the tomatoes and they loose their flavour. Tomatoes should always be stored at room temperature out of direct sunlight.
- Tomatoes should never be stored in the same bowl as bananas and apples. These fruits emit ethylene as they ripen which also causes tomatoes to ripen faster when exposed to it.